- About National Luna
- Why Shop With Us
- Warranty & Returns
Introducing the new Legacy 40 Litre Single Compartment Fridge Freezer by National Luna | NLR40SL
National Luna fridges and freezers are synonymous with high-quality, high-end portable refrigeration. The new Legacy 40 litre fridge or freezer is the smallest in their range, but still packs a punch and can maintain an incredible -18oC even in ambient temperatures as high as +43oC.
National Luna’s 40 Litre Single Compartment fridge has been developed for performance at high ambient temperatures, minimum power consumption, and overall operating efficiency. This fridge is recognised as the world’s most powerful portable 40 Litre option. Low power consumption is achieved using 60mm high-density insulation and a very compact design. Also available in a variety of sizes.
It's small on the outside, but BIG inside, this fully-featured ‘small’ fridge / freezer by National Luna fits easily into most vehicles and offers a convenient way to take a weekends’ food and drinks for two or three people. Ideal as a dedicated freezer.
The 60mm thick wall insulation and complete coverage wall and floor cooling plates ensure the lowest possible battery consumption, making this one of the models ideally suited as a permanent portable freezer or extreme duty fridge.
12/24v DC and 240v AC are all built in and the unit will automatically select to run on mains power whenever it is available - but revert to battery power if the mains go off.
A NEW COMPRESSOR MEANS BETTER EFFICIENCY
Experience an unparalleled performance increase all thanks to the new National Luna Off-Road compressor. The fridge now runs on less energy thanks to the compressor doing all the heavy lifting.
Having been the experts in 12V portable fridges for over 30 years, National Luna’s ingenious design team developed their own compressor. The all-new Legacy models are fitted with this new Off-Road Compressor and have an AC/DC electronic power supply fitted as standard equipment.
The Legacy models will operate from 9.6V to 31.5V DC, as well as AC voltage ranging from 100V to 240V. Automatic switching is standard. After rigorous development and testing, this OEM Off-Road Compressor, designed specifically to handle the rumble and tumble of off-roading, reduces energy consumption and improves overall performance. This compressor comes with an 8-year warranty.
BETTER CONTROLS EQUAL MORE FREEDOM
Smarter construction is one element of National Luna’s superior performance. Smarter compressor control is the other. The National Luna Off-Road Compressor will automatically operate in the high-speed TURBO mode until the temperature set point is reached. Thereafter it will operate in the energy-efficient idle mode, ensuring optimal power consumption. Because different battery types can be discharged to various levels, you have the power to select the depth of discharge of the battery, ie. how low you intend to allow the battery to flatten. All National Luna fridges and freezers incorporate Low/Medium/High battery cut-out protection circuitry.
And finally, when it comes to operating your National Luna fridge or freezer, you are in charge like no other manufacturer. Equipped with an easy-to-read digital thermostat, the programmable intelligent controller allows you to set the exact temperature while simultaneously showing you the current compartment temperature. TURBO mode can also be manually selected.
BETTER DENSITY EQUALS MORE INSULATION
The new National Luna Legacy Fridges and Freezers feature higher density insulation around the compartments to increase the overall insulation value. With the coupled power from their latest and greatest new Off-Road Compressor, working hard to cool the fridge and freezer compartments down more rapidly, the higher density insulation ensures the compartments retain a longer cool period. Yet another way to ensure less energy consumption.
BETTER CONSTRUCTION MEANS MORE CONSISTENCY
Made with a Stainless Steel exterior and aluminium interior, National Luna fridges, and freezers are metal inside and out. The durability benefits are obvious, but it also provides better cooling. Metal cabinets and metal inner liners coupled with a unique manufacturing process allow the latest generation foam to be injected under high pressure resulting in denser, more effective insulation. The result? Maximum interior space with a more compact overall footprint. And while plastic fridges use a separate “refrigeration plate”, National Luna’s inner aluminium metal construction in conjunction with copper cooling piping means less cold spots (we all know that terrible single spot that freezes everything and shouldn’t?). This keeps temperatures stable across the whole of the interior, cuts running time, reduces how long it takes to the fridge to pull the temperature down once new contents are added, and keeps food fresher for longer.
NOW WITH A DIN STYLE 12V POWER CONNECTION, NOT A CIGARETTE LIGHTER PLUG - PLEASE READ!
The National Luna fridges do not come with a standard cigarette-style 12v plug.
Here is why:
The outlets installed in the back of your vehicle are at the end of a wiring loom and are most likely reduced to 18 gauge by the time they reach your outlet. The standard cigarette lighter male plug has a flexible single point contact on one or two sides. All current is now reduced to that single contact point. Imagine drinking a fountain soda through a cocktail straw. How much harder does your fridge have to run to compensate for this? Very inefficient. Not to mention the outlet being keyed on and off by the ignition.
National Luna's power cord is 10 gauge, multi-strand copper. It has a Hella style DIN male plug on it that is wrapped in 360 degrees of copper for contact to the Hella style DIN socket. Full and complete contact at the connection. National Luna also provides the socket for installation in your vehicle, suggesting a dedicated line of similar gauge from your power source. Now you have a sufficient source of power for your fridge to run on, allowing it to run as it should. This reduces overall power consumption and extends your battery life.
All National Luna Legacy Fridges purchased directly from 4x4 Down Under come with a 3 year warranty fridge.
NATIONAL LUNA LEGACY FRIDGE FEATURES
- Powered by National Luna Off-Road Compressor
- AC/DC Electronic Power Supply (9.6V to 31.5V DC | 110V to 240V AC)
- 12V Power Cord with DIN-Style Male Plug & Socket Included
- Easy-to-Read Digital Thermostat
- Select Exact Temperature Preference with Programmable Intelligent Controller
- Auto Controlled Turbo Mode (Also Available As Manually Selected Option) & Energy-Efficient Idle Mode to Ensure Optimal Power Consumption
- Option to Select Depth of Discharge on Battery to Avoid Flatten Point
- 3-Levels (Low/Medium/High) of Energy Efficiency with Fault-ID & Self-Diagnostic Display
- Consistent Temperatures for Fresher Food
- Dual Control Models Feature Independent Zone Controls
- Rigidized 430 Stainless Steel Exterior For Durability
- Aluminum Interior & Copper Cooling Piping for Less Cold Spots
- Injected, High-Density Foam Insulation for Longer Cooling Period & Less Energy Consumption
- Compact Footprint with Maximum Storage Space
- High-Strength, Polycarbonate Carry Handles
- Lid Has Lockable Latch
- Dual LED Interior Lights
- Includes Food-Grade polycarbonate Baskets
- 3-Year Fridge / Freezer Warranty
NATIONAL LUNA 40L FRIDGE FREEZER SPECIFICATIONS
Small outside, but big inside National Luna's fully-featured "small" fridge/freezer fits easily into most vehicles offering a convenient way to take a weekends' food and drinks for two or three people. Ideal as a dedicated freezer.
- 3 Food-Grade Baskets
- Thermostat Range: +20°C to -30°C | 68°F to -22°F
- Dimensions: 25" L x 16" W x 20" H | 635mm L x 420mm W x 515mm H
- Volume: 39.3L
- Weight: 22.5 kg
National Luna Portable Fridge Freezers - Exceptional Quality, Tough and Versatile
Originally designed to meet World Health Organisation specifications for transporting medicines in harsh African conditions, National Luna fridges are now the preferred choice for safari operators, caterers, mining companies, and 4WDers who need commercial-grade quality and serious performance with low battery consumption in demanding conditions.
TOUGHER, SMARTER, BETTER
Metal construction makes National Luna fridges tougher, and clever design plus intelligent controllers makes them smarter, but what makes them better? The answer is superior performance in the form of a proven ability to refrigerate, or freeze, safely in very hot weather, and to do it with the lowest possible power consumption, reliability, and durability second to none.
National Luna makes a simple guarantee: our fridges maintain genuine freezing capability...even with outside temperatures of 43oC. With National Luna you know the fridge can handle extremes and maintain stable temperatures... and that’s important because your food will last longer and your drinks will stay colder.
Power usage is important too. In the real world battery drain is about how much power a fridge uses over days, not just how many amps it draws in a lab, and tests in real-life conditions prove National Luna fridges stay cool with the lowest possible power consumption.
Where others struggle, National Luna fridges keep on doing the job in the most extreme conditions!
THE PERFORMANCE ADVANTAGE
Smarter design makes National Luna fridges better, and three key design features help deliver the best refrigeration performance: Larger cooling plates – the cooling plates on National Luna fridges also form the fridge's inner walls delivering cooling from top to bottom and ensuring consistent temperatures and fast 'pull-down' times.
- Higher insulation density – National Luna fridge/freezers use parallel metal internal walls and outer cabinets allowing insulation to be injected at high pressure to achieve higher densities – just like roofing insulation where an R3.0 batt outperforms an R2.5 batt of similar thickness, higher density gives improved performance without wasting space. National Luna wall thicknesses range from 42mm to 60mm, and we recommend users wanting a full-time freezer choose from our 'thick wall' range (40, 55, 72, 80, 110 and 125 litre units) or 60 and 90 Twin which uses 'thick wall' insulation on the freezer side.
- Better sealing – National Luna uses door seals that employ the same design as commercial fridges utilising an air pocket that inflates and seals using the difference in pressure between the cool inside air and warm outside air. Better sealing maintains lower temperatures with less power use. There's no thin rubber strip seals in a National Luna fridge!
These key features combine with all the other National Luna design elements and quality components to ensure the compressor can run for the shortest possible time which means low battery consumption and performance reserves for tough demands.
SIMPLY BETTER, SIMPLY SMARTER
Combining commercial quality and real performance with low battery consumption, National Luna fridge/freezers are right choice for anyone that's serious about buying a portable fridge/freezer. There are many reasons why: Metal construction – all National Luna fridge/freezers are built with external stainless steel walls and aluminium internal walls. The durability benefits over plastic fridges are obvious... but metal walls with integral cooling plates also give National Luna superior cooling, extra internal space, and high efficiency. A galvanised steel chassis forms the 'backbone' of every National Luna fridge and includes keyhole slots for use in conjunction with mushroom-head bolts and optional fixed baseplate for secure mounting without ropes or straps.
- Danfoss compressors – German engineered and recognised as the most efficient portable fridge compressor in the world, National Luna uses genuine Danfoss compressors and controllers as the heart of the performance, but then design their own fan-assisted condensor, full wall plate evaporator system, control panel and interface for maximum efficiency and reliability.
- Clever controls – National Luna fridges use Smart Compressor Control which automatically varies the speed of the compressor in order to conserve power and optimise performance. Selecting Turbo mode over-rides this function to cool even faster. National Luna fridges also feature clever power supply controls – 12/24v DC can be connected at the same time as built-in 240v AC, and National Luna fridge/freezers automatically use 240v AC when available and revert to DC if mains power goes off...great for overnight stays in remote stations where the generators are turned off late at night.
- Digital thermostats – simply set the temperature average you need and the National Luna controls will cycle the fridge around this temperature no matter whether it is a hot day or cold night. No need to constantly adjust the fridge to avoid freezing the veggies or, even worse, risk warming the beer! After setting your desired temperature, the display reverts to showing you the internal cabinet temperature so you can see at a glance what is going on inside.
- Low battery cut-out – adjustable and included on all models. On Weekender models the battery cut-out can be set using the built-in battery monitor indicators. When the battery cut-out is triggered, the compressor is stopped but the digital temperature display continues to show you internal temperatures so you are kept informed.
- Handles and catches – heavy-duty ABS handles incorporate provision for tie-down straps, while lockable stainless steel catches ensure that the lid remains secure even on the roughest roads.
- Solar panel friendly – by ensuring the lowest possible battery consumption through clever design and quality components National Luna fridge/freezers are ideally suited to solar applications.
- 3 Year Warranty – even with the best design and quality components things can sometimes go wrong. National Luna fridges carry a full three-year parts and labour warranty supported by a nationwide network of Authorised Service Agents. A warranty that will, if necessary, be honoured through any reputable refrigeration service company if you happen to be in a remote location. If you own a National Luna we'll strive to get you going again quickly and with a minimum of hassle.
Why Shop at 4x4 Down Under?
Excellent & Honest Service
Aussie and Proud!
We're Australians, and we like to support our fellow Australians, which is why all our products are sourced locally from the official Australian distributors. Nothing is imported directly and we don't stock any grey imports. This also means that all manufacturer warranties are fully honored by the brands themselves.
No Sales Gimmicks
- Annoying and dishonest ’Sales Timers’ that simply reset every few hours and are there to coerce you into buying.
- Dishonest “low stock” labels, another coercive sales gimmick.
- False “John just bought a…” alerts. Our customer alerts (bottom left) are 100% true and we're proud of them.
- Being bombarded by trust badges and labels everywhere you look that mean nothing.
- We don't spam! Your information is safe with us. It will never be shared or sold, or used to fill your inbox with garbage.
Fast Shipping with Insurance!
National Luna 3 Year Warranty
Further to the rights of consumers as covered within the Australian Consumer Law, all National Luna products include a comprehensive 3 year warranty by the manufacturer/Australian distributor.
3 Year Warranty (only applicable to the original purchaser of a new unit)
Covering parts and labour from the date of first purchase, excluding any damage as a result of abuse or impact or incorrect power supply. The unit will be repaired or replaced at the discretion of Fleet Alliance Pty Ltd t/as Dolium.
To make a claim please contact 4x4 Down Under, or any of the Authorised Service Agents on the website at www.nationalluna.com.au. You are responsible to return the unit to the original point of sale, OR to an authorised Service Agent.
The Serial number is shown on a label at the top of the outside back panel and this number must be quoted in all correspondence or claims.
The benefits offered by this Warranty are in addition to your rights and remedies under the Australian Consumer Law. Our goods come with guarantees that cannot be excluded under the Australian Consumer Law. You are entitled to a replacement or refund for a major failure and for compensation for any other reasonably foreseeable loss or damage. You are also entitled to have the goods repaired or replaced if the goods fail to be of acceptable quality and the failure does not amount to a major failure. A claim under the Warranty must be made within 12 month Warranty period, except National Luna fridge freezers with 3 year Warranty period, which commences on the date of purchase. To make a Warranty claim, contact 4x4 Down Under via email or telephone.