Our rope splicing kit is designed to provide an easy to use product to all users of synthetic winch rope. The kit comes in a plastic tube which can be easily stored, no matter if you’re a competition, recreational or commercial user, this kit is just what you need to splice synthetic ropes.
•10mm Stainless Steel “Fid” tool
•Roll of insulating tape
•Craft Knife with spare blades
•GP Rope splicing guide
Synthetic Winch Rope FAQ
Below is a general list of synthetic vs steel pros and cons. It’s important to note that not all synthetic and steel cables are the same, and some will have different features and capabilities.
Synthetic Rope Pros
- Strength: Dyneema rope is up to 15 times stronger than steel.
- Weight: Synthetic rope is much lighter than steel, and easier to carry and handle.
- Handling: Synthetic rope doesn’t develop sharp burrs over time, which can be dangerous.
- No rust: Steel cable can rust and in turn weaken if not kept dry and maintained.
- Safety: Synthetic rope doesn’t store up as much energy as a steel cable does, which means if it breaks it won’t become a lethal projectile and cause injury to you or damage your vehicle.
- It’s flexible: Steel winch cable is prone to kinks which in turn makes it harder to spool up on the drum, further decreasing strength. It is to be noted that synthetic rope, if not handled carefully can knot.
- It floats: If you get stuck in a mud-hole or body of water having this advantage can be a great help.
- Repair: if it snaps it can usually be repaired in the field with proper braiding techniques.
Synthetic Rope Cons
- Can be susceptible to UV exposure, heat, chemicals and abrasion.
- Can hold water: this can add weight, and if you’re in a cold environment, can even freeze.
- Need to be properly maintained. Grains of sand and dirt can bury themselves in the rope’s core and weaken it’s integrity. If you’re out in the mud and dirt it’s important that you take time to spool it out and wash it occasionally.
- Expense. Synthetic cable is often the more expensive option.
What kind of fairlead should I use for a synthetic winch rope?
How do I know which rope to use with my winch?
Do I need to wash my rope?
Yes. It’s recommended that you wash your rope with soapy water to remove any grit and debris which might have become stuck inside the fibres of the rope. Over time this dirt and grit can work it’s way in to the rope, damaging the core and weakening it from the inside out.
Do I need a winch dampener with my synthetic rope?
Yes. While a synthetic rope doesn't store as much kinetic energy as that of a steel wire, it can still be of some danger when snapping under high tension. Depending where the break occurs and what item is attached to the rope, a flying hook, shackle or anchor point can still pose a significant threat to any person or vehicle near by.
All our products ship free of charge!
We're incredibly proud to offer free shipping and insurance on almost everything in our store. Unfortunately there are some minor conditions. Australia is a huge continent and depending on your location and the item you're purchasing, we may have to make some additional arrangements to get your item(s) to you, and depending on the distance this may incur some shipping fees.
Please understand we will always do our utmost best to ensure this doesn't happen but for very remote regions we unfortunately will sometimes have no choice. Should this nasty situation arise we will contact you immediately and discuss options. Should you not want to pay any additional fees we'll refund you in full.
Orders are usually dispatched within 1 - 3 business days. Should there be any delays we will let you know immediately.
In order to get your purchase to you as promptly and safely as possible we utilise a number of trusted and reputable courier services, including Australia Post (depending on the item and your location). These delivery services should have your item delivered to your door within 3 - 10 working days depending on your location. In some cases where the address is based in the more rural parts of Australia this may take longer. Should the delivery time take longer than we would like we will let you know.
As soon as the item has been shipped we will provide you with a tracking number. You can then use this number to watch your item move across Australia toward your location. It will also give you a clear idea of exactly when to expect your item.
Depending on the item we may contact you to arrange delivery. In order to ensure your purchase lands in the correct hands we will require a signature from you on delivery. If you are not home on delivery the postman/courier will leave a card with collection details.
Please feel free to contact us should you want to make alternate arrangements for delivery. We’re flexible and here to help.
Please note that unfortunately we're unable to ship to PO Boxes (and/or Parcel Lockers). Please rather use a work address, or that of a friend, colleague or family member.
We are happy to ship overseas too! Please contact us with the item you wish to purchase and your details and we’ll provide a quote.